About Nottingham Youth Orchestra
Enriching and inspiring the musical life of young people since 1985
Nottingham Youth Orchestra has been enriching Nottinghamshire’s musical life and inspiring young people since it was founded in 1985 by Derek Williams and Stephen Fairlie. As an established, independent organisation and registered charity, NYO encourages young musicians to play to the best of their ability whilst offering opportunities to perform to high standards within a friendly, nurturing environment.
In a typical year more than 250 young musicians, in NYO’s three orchestras and two jazz orchestras, perform music from Mozart and Stravinsky to Glen Miller and film music, and perhaps the occasional world premiere!
- perform to around 2000 people at several concert venues
- play around 50 pieces of music
- enjoy residential and day trips
- widen experience with string, wind, percussion and jazz workshops
- and to inspire, NYO likes watch the National Youth Orchestra of GB in concert
Ask NYO youngsters for their highlights and, in addition to each term’s concert, when they share their hard work with family and friends, top of the list are friendships made alongside break-time cakes or at residential, as well as the ever popular tuck shop and an exclusive NYO ice cream van visit!